|Posted by billamos on September 3, 2012 at 2:35 PM||comments (0)|
https://twitter.com/TVreporter/status/242676611713990658" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">WSOC TV:
A California man is no longer a delegate at the Democratic National Convention after an incident involving two delegates at an uptown hotel.
The staff at the Blake Hotel said one of the men was drunk and disruptive.
The man was asked to leave the hotel and to avoid participating in any convention-related activities, according to a statement from the California Democratic Party.
|Posted by billamos on September 3, 2012 at 1:50 PM||comments (1)|
From WCVB in Boston:
In the words of Mass. State Rep. Keiko Orall, "This campaign is heating up in more ways than one."
Orall woke Sunday morning to find one of her campaign signs in her front yard burned.
Orall, a resident of Lakeville, is a Republican state representative for the 12th district in Bristol County.
"This is 2012, this is America," Orall told WCVB Monday. "We can't have this type of activity during campaigning."
|Posted by billamos on September 3, 2012 at 11:30 AM||comments (0)|
From Charlotte Observer:
RALEIGH A Raleigh-based group devoted to reducing the potential for voter fraud presented the N.C. Board of Elections on Friday with a list of nearly 30,000 names of dead people statewide who are still registered to vote.
The Voter Integrity Project compiled the list after obtaining death records from the state Department of Public Health from 2002 to March 31 and comparing them to the voter rolls.
“Mainly, what we’re concerned about is the potential [for fraud],” said project director Jay DeLancy. “Since there is no voter ID law in North Carolina, anybody can walk in and claim to be anyone else.”
DeLancy said his group has found evidence to suggest voter fraud in these numbers, but will not quantify how much until he is able to do more analysis. Most cases of what look like a dead person voting are likely just administrative errors, such as a son named Junior voting in his father’s name instead of his own.
|Posted by billamos on September 3, 2012 at 9:50 AM||comments (0)|
From CBS Detroit:
The U.S. Secret Service and local police are investigating after a truck was stolen just ahead of Vice President Biden’s visit to Detroit. The search continues on Monday for a U-Haul truck that was loaded with high-tech security equipment that belongs to the Secret Service. The vehicle was stolen Sunday morning from a parking lot of the Westin Book Cadillac hotel, on Washington Boulevard, in downtown Detroit.
The U.S. Secret Service and local police are investigating after a truck was stolen just ahead of Vice President Biden’s visit to Detroit.
The search continues on Monday for a U-Haul truck that was loaded with high-tech security equipment that belongs to the Secret Service.
The vehicle was stolen Sunday morning from a parking lot of the Westin Book Cadillac hotel, on Washington Boulevard, in downtown Detroit.
|Posted by billamos on August 22, 2012 at 3:15 PM||comments (0)|
From Seattle Times
Cities pay a price for campaign swings: $100,000 for recent Obama visit
President Obama's fundraising trip to the Seattle area last month didn't include any public events, but local law-enforcement agencies still paid nearly $100,000 in overtime costs to protect him.
Local law-enforcement agencies spent nearly $100,000 in overtime to protect President Obama during a fundraising trip to the Seattle area last month, according to records released by the groups involved in the effort.
The roughly $98,500 tab, which won't be reimbursed, could have been much higher — the largest security force in the presidential motorcade, the Washington State Patrol, adjusted its schedules, shifting troopers from regular duties to avoid what would have been an additional $60,000 in overtime.
|Posted by billamos on August 22, 2012 at 1:20 PM||comments (0)|
Attorney confirms Nagin subpoena report; says former mayor cooperating
The attorney representing former New Orleans mayor Ray Nagin on Wednesday confirmed an I-Team report that his client did receive a subpoena to appear before a federal grand jury on Friday.
Robert Jenkins told the WDSU I-Team that the subpoena called for Nagin to personally attend the scheduled session, and said the former City Hall chief executive was prepared to be questioned at that time.
Citing sources, WDSU reported on Monday that the U.S. Attorney's Office served the subpoena last week. Though the subpoena set the appearance for Friday, Jenkins said recent discussions, which followed its receipt, will result in a delay -- and may change the nature of any interaction involving the ex-mayor.
"We are speaking with the government. We have asked for more time to do certain things -- and what was going to happen Friday... be it testimony, be it documents... is not going to happen (on that day)," Jenkins said. "In that sense, we are getting further information
|Posted by billamos on August 21, 2012 at 7:10 PM||comments (1)|
From Houston Cronicle:
federal appeals court ruled Tuesday that Texas can cut off funding for Planned Parenthood clinics that provide health services to low-income women before a trial over a new law that bans state money from going to organizations tied to abortion providers.
The 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in New Orleans lifted a federal judge's temporary injunction calling for the funding to continue pending an October trial on Planned Parenthood's challenge to the law.
Texas officials sought to cut off funding to Planned Parenthood clinics that provide family planning and health services to poor women after the state's Republican-led Legislature passed a law banning funds to organizations linked to abortion providers. No state money goes to pay for abortions.
Planned Parenthood sued, saying the law violates its free speech rights. The Texas attorney general argued lawmakers may decide which organizations receive state funds.
|Posted by billamos on August 21, 2012 at 7:00 PM||comments (0)|
From NBC LA
If you thought it was strange that California's U.S. senators, Dianne Feinstein and Barbara Boxer, attacked the sponsors of the tax-hike-for-schools initiative Prop 38 last week, a new poll provides an explanation.
Prop 38 is gaining.
The latest in a series of polls from Pepperdine University and the California Business Roundtable show that Prop 38, a 12-year income tax hike to create new moneys for schools, is gaining. It is the first of the three polls when there were more "yes" supporters than "no" supporters in the poll.
The poll, taken late last week, came as Feinstein, Boxer and legislative leaders sent a letter to the California PTA, which is sponsoring the measure along with wealthy civil rights attorney Molly Munger.
The letter urged the PTA to stop being negative about Prop 30, the competing temporary tax measure backed by Gov. Jerry Brown and organized labor.
|Posted by billamos on August 21, 2012 at 6:55 PM||comments (0)|
Raleigh, N.C. — A voter fraud activist stormed out of a Wake County Board of Elections meeting Tuesday after the board denied his challenges to names on local voter rolls.
Jay DeLancy with the Voter Integrity Project of North Carolina had filed challenges against more than 500 Wake County voters, claiming they reported on jury forms they were not citizens. The elections board staff said most of the challenges were mismatched or out of date.
|Posted by billamos on August 21, 2012 at 6:25 PM||comments (0)|
JUNEAU, Alaska— Alaska is suing to block enforcement of provisions of the federal Voting Rights Act
Alaska is among the states required to submit redistricting plans or proposed election changes to the U.S. Justice Department for review to ensure the plans aren't discriminatory.
The state's lawsuit Tuesday claims there's no evidence that Alaska should be considered among the states "where voting discrimination has been most flagrant."
The lawsuit says no evidence was presented to Congress in 2006, when the law was reauthorized, that shows Alaska had any such violations.