Attorney confirms Nagin subpoena report; says former mayor cooperating
The attorney representing former New Orleans mayor Ray Nagin on Wednesday confirmed an I-Team report that his client did receive a subpoena to appear before a federal grand jury on Friday.
Robert Jenkins told the WDSU I-Team that the subpoena called for Nagin to personally attend the scheduled session, and said the former City Hall chief executive was prepared to be questioned at that time.
Citing sources, WDSU reported on Monday that the U.S. Attorney's Office served the subpoena last week. Though the subpoena set the appearance for Friday, Jenkins said recent discussions, which followed its receipt, will result in a delay -- and may change the nature of any interaction involving the ex-mayor.
"We are speaking with the government. We have asked for more time to do certain things -- and what was going to happen Friday... be it testimony, be it documents... is not going to happen (on that day)," Jenkins said. "In that sense, we are getting further information